Adaptive Snowsports at Rabbit Hill
We are proud to offer a variety of adaptive snowsports options at Rabbit Hill Snow Resort. Whether it is your first time on snow, or if you are a seasoned skier or snowboarder, we have a program for you!
Rabbit Hill Snow Resort happily offers small-group lessons to people with a variety of challenges including:
- cognitively disabled: appropriate for people with Downs Syndrome and other cognitive delays that include below average/decreased ability to learn or to retain old and new skills. Students are taught ski/snowboard concepts and skills by breaking tasks into small segments supported by lots of repetition.
- learning disabled - for people who are able-bodied with average or higher intelligence but who have learning or behavioral difficulties that interfere with their ability to learn new skills or attend to instruction such as: ADHD, Asperger’s, Autism, Defiant Disorders, Tourette’s Syndrome, FASD
- visually impaired, partial- not requiring a guide
- hearing impaired, partial- use of microphone system for instruction only, not requiring a guide
*Students are assessed individually at the lesson time by our Snow School Supervisors to determine which group is most appropriate for them depending on their abilities and needs. The Snow School does their very best to match students to qualified and appropriate instructors. We reserve the right to deny participation if: an appropriate match for a student cannot be made, if behavior is anticipated to be an issue, or if safety becomes compromised.
To participate in group lessons, students must possess the ability and demonstrated behaviour to act appropriately and participate in the group-lesson setting for 1 hour. Adaptive group lessons are available at no extra charge every weekday at 11:30am, and weekends at 11:00am & 1:30pm. If the student will require one-on-one attention, private lessons are available for an additional fee. ALL adaptive lessons MUST be pre-booked AT LEAST ONE WEEK in advance. Please fill out this form to pre-book a group adaptive lesson, and contact email@example.com if you require a private adaptive lesson.
CADS Edmonton (Canadian Adaptive Snow Sports) has its home base at Rabbit Hill and they are a great partner who provides instructors trained in adaptive snow sports including the use of specialized equipment (eg. sit ski) For more information on the programs that CADS can provide visit www.cadsedmonton.com. We work with CADS Edmonton to offer one-on-one instruction and support. CADS Instruction is available for an additional fee with lessons available for:
- Visual impairment: for total visual impairment or partial sight of 6/60 or 20% field of vision.
- Deaf: for people with total or partial hearing impairment
- 3-Track & 4-Track Skiing: may be appropriate for single or double above or below the knee amputee or people affected by Polio or Cerebral Palsy who require braces
- Sit-Ski: for people affected by paralysis (paraplegia or quadriplegia). Students are equipped with a sit-ski and tethered from behind
If at any time you have questions about the adaptive snow sports programs offered, feel free to contact our group coordinator at 780-955-2440 or firstname.lastname@example.org
CADS Edmonton (Canadian Adaptive Snowsports) has its main club house right here at Rabbit Hill Snow Resort!
They offer a great program of of two-hour lessons that run from January to March on Monday Nights, as well as support for school field trips throughout the season.
CADS provides specialized instruction to people with a wide range of disabilities including:
- Cognitively disabled and learning disabled
- Visually impaired
- Hearing impaired
- Paraplegic and quadriplegic
- Disabilities related to Cerebral Palsy and other muscular disorders
Interested in trying it out before joining the program? Keep an eye open for the Slide & Ride event that typically happens early in the ski season. (2018 Date - TBA)
For more information on registering for CADS programs visit www.cadsedmonton.ca
Rabbit Hill Snow Resort offers Private Lessons for people that require one-on-one or specialized instruction. These lessons are 1 Hour long and are available to those who do not require specialized equipment (eg. sit ski, outriggers).
We do have a limited number of instructors that are certified to teach these lessons, and we recommend booking in advance by calling 780-955-2440.
|1 Hour Lesson (Includes Lift Ticket)||$89.00|
|Additional Hour (Per Student)||$69.00|
|Ski or Snowboard Rental Package||$19.00|
|1 Hour Lesson - Season Pass Holders (No Lift Ticket)||$74.00|
|Tyke (Age 4-6)||$79.00|
|1/2 Hour (Age 3)||$49.00|
|Tyke Ski or Snowboard Rental Package (Ages 4-6)||$12.00|